photograph: prayers by johnny monahan

Sunday, January 3, 2010

give me a story about elephants


and i will give you my complete attention. i can't remember when my fascination for these gentle giants began but it has never been lost. they are said to have qualities that i admire in humans. this may be what captures me the most. they have families or packs. mother and baby elephants remain close for years. elephants talk to one another. they can communicate over a long distance. they greet each other when close by and they are quite social. i have seen an elephant kick a soccer ball, throw darts, and even paint. truthfully, these acts were a bit troublesome to behold. the one thing that has struck me is that they mourn. they mourn the loss of a friend, a relative, a child. but they also celebrate the birth of a newborn with trumpeting squeals. i just wanted to give a shout out to my favorite animal.













No comments:

Post a Comment