photograph: prayers by johnny monahan

Saturday, March 27, 2010

pride and prejudice (the shorter movie)

i believe i have discovered what role this particular romantic movie plays in my life. i used to think movies of this genre cruel and deceiving. i used to avoid them for fear of planting fantasies and false hopes into my mind.

but as these last few days have past, days with stints of loneliness and want, days with periods of a deep ache impossible to comfort, this movie has offered me a little hope. and why not hope i say?

why not hope for a companion 'so similar' as lizzie mentions to her father. why not hope for a gentleman who makes his intentions known? one who reveals his true feelings? a man who rights the wrongs he has made, a man who will love me despite my faults and shortcomings and will accept my family in all its dysfunction. why not hope for a provider? why not hope for shared or reciprocated attraction?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite movie/book...but it sure does jack us women up, doesn't it?!

    Now you know why I call him....Mr Thompson. As in Mr. Darcy.

    He's pride - I'm prejudice. Is is he prejudice...and I'm pride? I forget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie teaches a great important lesson. It's in the title, Pride and Prejudice. Many times when I see a man whom I may have a little interest, I judge him on one thing he has said and totally dismiss him as a suitor. Lizzie did this, she then became very prideful. Only when she humbled herself and saw Darcy for what he really is, she fell in love with him. I love the story and it gives me hope to not judge people too hastily.

    ReplyDelete