photograph: prayers by johnny monahan

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

journals

it's quiet in the house as it oftentimes is. i can hear the wind move through the trees and thru the flood channel behind my house as i see the long knitting needle-like leaves on a tree sway. the ceiling fan whirs as does the fridge, and the clock on the wall ticks the seconds away.

this sunday, i'm supposed to teach the young women lesson 16 on journals. yet another reason i'm glad i started this blog. i want to show them my blog and even read some entries but i'm not really sure which ones to share. i'm thinking that the dream about lola carmen would be a good one. and perhaps, oh i don't know... i'll have to keep thinking about it.

as i read through the lesson one quote has lingered in my mind. it was given by president kimball, the 12th president of the lds church. he said, 'those who keep a personal journal are more likely to keep the Lord in remembrance in their daily lives.' why is that? hold on, i'm pondering as i eat this banana flavored popsicle. (still on a ginger ale, cracker, toast and popisicle diet)

well, perhaps as we recall and jot down the events of our lives, mundane or extraordinary as they may be, we are more prone to recognize the Lord's hand. or we may be more able to peek at how God in His omniscience shows Himself. otherwise, we would rely solely upon our fleeting memories. and i know how easily my memory fades. however, i'm reminded of a conference talk given by president eyring entitled 'o remember, remember'.

his closing remarks were, 'tonight, and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: did God send a message that was just for me? did i see His hand in my life or in the lives of my children? i will do that. and then i will find a way to preserve that memory for that day that i, and those that i love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him. I testify that He loves us and blesses us, more than most of us have yet recognized. i know that this is true, and it brings me joy to remember Him.'

2 comments:

  1. hey - I'm teaching the same lesson.

    Bloggers unite!

    (any other good ideas and quotes?! I need all the help I can get.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet! share some of your favorite posts! funny and spiritual. that's what im shooting for. i'm also trying to dig up my missionary journal. i have no idea where it is!!!

    ReplyDelete