photograph: prayers by johnny monahan

Monday, February 14, 2011

secret admirer lost

this being an amorous day, i couldn't help but think of some of the oddest but sweet events of my life. one in particular comes to mind. mind you, this happened over 10 years ago so the details are pretty cloudy.

it was the summer of '99. i was home from byu working 2 jobs. i worked at big canyon country club as a hostess/server and at nbc's dreamcastle marketing in burbank as an intern. by this time, i had met my ex-husband in the el dorado singles ward i was attending and had gone on a few dates with him.

one particular morning as i was getting ready to head to work, i went to my car parked on the street in front of the house and found deep red velvet petals sprinkled all over my white '89 honda accord. i had no idea who had placed the rose petals on the car. just rose petals lay all over the hood, roof and trunk of the car, nothing else. i looked at the rose bushes our front yard to see if they had been disturbed. they had not. my mind raced to think of every possible culprit. i wondered if it was one of my brothers many admirers (no worries betsy. kris was in micronesia), a very secret admirer i had never known about, someone whom i had just been introduced to in the home ward, or my ex.

to this day i don't know who placed those petals on the car but my ex reaped the rewards of such a sweet and thoughtful act. he was honest in admitting that it was not his doing but was grateful it was done. i still wonder. i wonder if i'll ever find out who the petal sprinkler was...


1 comment:

  1. This reminded me of when Hermana Mann and I were in Brooklyn (the Bensonhurst pad)....and one Valentines day we were in the subway station on our way home (around 9:30ish)...and we were the only people on the platform when a little old man walked up one end with a bundle of flowers...approached us...and said "quieres? (would you like?)....we were so shocked we nodded yes and he handed us the bundle of flowers....and walked out of the other end of the station.

    To this day I swear we were visited by an angel.

    When we got to our destination we walked out of the station and as a limo passed by...it screetched to a halt and backed up. A pimpled faced 16 year old jewish kid popped his head out of the sunroof and said, "hey ladies - you want a ride?!".

    Mann and I looked at each other and shouted "Yes" back. So we rode 5 blocks home in a limo with about bunch of 16 years old kids.

    By rar the best Valentines Day I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete